What’s this? A blog post? Outside of VeganMoFo?! Yep, that’s right. I’m as shocked as you. I made these biscuits and thought, hey, why not blog them! They came about quite by accident – I made a Bakewell tart and had leftover glace cherries and ground almonds, and thought I’d use those Bakewell flavours and make biscuits!
They’re pretty simple to make, with ground almonds and almond extract in the dough giving it that Bakewell flavour, and chopped up glace cherries folded through. Glace cherries are a little sticky to chop, but they are worth it!
The dough can be made in advance – it needs to chill for at least an hour, but will be happy left overnight if you like! This means you can just bake them at your leisure and have freshly baked biscuits ready for you. These are perfect with a hot cup of tea.
Cherry & Almond Biscuits
- 125g vegan butter
- 150g white sugar
- 50g brown sugar
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 50g ground almonds
- 1 tbsp non-dairy milk
- 250g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 100g glace cherries, roughly chopped
- Begin by creaming the butter and sugars in a bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add in the almond extract, ground almonds, and milk, and mix well.
- Stir through the flour and baking powder to form a dough.
- Gently fold in the chopped cherries, making sure to distribute them evenly through the dough.
- Place in the fridge for at least an hour to chill.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/355F
- Roll the dough into small balls and place on a baking sheet, giving room for expansion.
- Place in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, until the cookies are golden at the edges.
- Leave to cool on the baking tray, then eat!