It’s the penultimate day of VeganMoFo 2018! Has September flown by, or crawled? A bit of both to be honest! Today’s prompt is “Brunch” – now, I love the kind of foods you have at brunch! Anything from pancakes to sausages are great with me. For this meal, I made scramble…not from eggs (of course) or tofu (though that is tasty) but chickpea flour!
I’ve already got a recipe for chickpea flour scramble on here, but it’s Indian spiced and has vegetables in. It’s really tasty, but this one is a basic one which goes really well with other brunch flavours – I had it here with bagels, fried tomatoes, and avocado.
Chickpea flour is a great source of protein and really good for making things like scrambles, pancakes, and fritters with.
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 250g chickpea flour
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp vegetable stock powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 500ml cold water
- Begin by frying the onion and garlic in the oil in a large pan, until softened.
- Mix the chickpea flour, nutritional yeast, stock powder, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt together in a bowl.
- Very gradually stir in the cold water, mixing constantly to avoid lumps.
- Pour the chickpea flour mixture over the onions and garlic and leave for a couple of minutes, until the edges start to set.
- Next, with a spatula, scramble the mixture for approximately five minutes until well scrambled and cooked. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Serve immediately.