Ah, February. Christmas is over, the new year is over, and it’s absolutely freezing cold. Spring is not yet on the radar, so the best thing to do is to sit tight in the warm and try not to shiver ourselves away.
The VeganMoFo challenge for the month is “Red” – to make and eat food all with the theme of red. This meal did not come out quite as red as I had planned, but it is still a bit red and certainly delicious.
These sausages are adapted from my tomato & basil sausage recipe, but these are flavoured to taste like pizza. Aptly, today is apparently National Pizza Day, which I didn’t actually plan for, but it works! Stuffed full with sun-dried tomatoes, olives, basil, and nutritional yeast, these sausages have a definite pizza flavour to them and smell and taste wonderful!
As with the other sausages on my blog, these are made with vital wheat gluten (you can buy it from health-food or vegan shops) and first steamed, then fried to get a lovely crust. Sausages made with gluten hold their shape very well, making them also ideal if you fancy barbecuing them!
- 60g sundried tomatoes (the kind that come in oil), finely chopped
- 50g black olives, finely chopped
- 30g fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 can white kidney beans/cannelini beans
- 4 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sriracha
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 225g vital wheat gluten
- 225ml cold water
- Begin by mashing the white beans in a large bowl until thoroughly mashed.
- Stir through the remaining ingredients to make a dough.
- Knead the dough for just a minute until it all comes together and forms a cohesive mixture.
- Divide the dough into 8 pieces, and roll each one into a rough sausage shape. Don’t worry too much about the shape – they’ll expand as they steam.
- Wrap each sausage in tin-foil, like a Christmas cracker shape.
- Place the sausages in your steamer (you may have to do two batches if your steamer is not large enough).
- Steam for 40 minutes.
- Once the sausages are steamed, remove them from the steamer, allow to cool slightly, then unwrap the foil.
- To fry, pour a little oil into a hot pan and fry the sausages for a minute or two on each side, until golden in colour.
- The sausages freeze well if you have too many!