It’s been a while! Sorry! I actually made these cookies a couple of weeks ago but didn’t get the time to post them until now. You may notice the pictures are slightly fancier – I got a new camera! A proper posh DSLR (which I have no idea how to use properly). I’m still not great at food presentation but at least the pictures are clearer!
I’m on a bit of a marzipan kick at the moment – perhaps with Christmas baking it’s made me fancy it! Earlier this year I read a recipe on Elephantastic Vegan which used marzipan in the same sort of way you’d use chocolate chips and I have been determined to use it in a recipe of my own! The cranberries I feel pair well with the marzipan and make a great seasonal cookie! Once baked, the marzipan slightly caramelises and, if eaten warm, goes all gorgeous and gooey.
The marzipan I chopped into pieces about 5-10mm square (that’s 1/5 to 2/5th of an inch) – don’t bother about them being too even as they do melt a little in the cookie. If you want bigger or smaller chunks then go for it!
The recipe uses golden syrup, which is available readily in the UK and Australia, but if you can’t get it use any other thick syrup – agave would work, or a simple syrup of boiled sugar/water.
Cranberry Marzipan Cookies
- 130g vegan butter
- 80g soft brown sugar
- 2tbsp golden syrup
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 200g self raising flour (or sub regular flour + 1tsp baking powder)
- 100g oats
- 100g marzipan, chopped into 5-10mm cubes
- 100g dried cranberries
- 2 tbsp water
- Preheat the oven to 175C/350F
- Cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add in the golden syrup and vanilla extract, and beat until mixed.
- Stir through the flour, oats, and 2 tbsp water to make the cookie dough.
- Fold in the cranberries and marzipan – gently so as not to break the marzipan!
- Scoop tablespoon sized pieces of the dough onto baking trays, spread out slightly to allow for any rising.
- Place in the oven for 12-16 minutes, until golden brown!