So, despite all my best intentions….I haven’t posted anything since Vegan MoFo ended. Oops.
I always forget to take photos of anything I make, and, who wants a blog post with no photos?
But I have photos now! Yesterday I made these wonderful Mince Pie Cupcakes and remembered to take some photos.
They were a bit of an experiment as I’ve vaguely heard of mince pie cupcakes before, but never seen any vegan recipes. I wasn’t sure how the moisture would affect it, but they came out fine! I just reduced the soy milk and oil a bit from my usual cupcake recipe, mixed in the mincemeat, and baked!
I used Sainsbury’s mincemeat which I find handy because it has a “vegan” label on it. But actually, most mincemeat that you can buy at the supermarket is vegan – just scan the ingredients quickly!
I wanted to make a brandy buttercream for the top but had no brandy, so I used vanilla instead and I think it came out ok!
Mince Pie Cupcakes
- 240g plain flour
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarb of soda
- pinch salt
- 200ml soy milk
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 70ml sunflower oil
- 125g sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 jar mincemeat (approx 400g)
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl and stir well.
- In a jug, measure out the soy milk and add the cider vinegar. Leave for a couple of minutes until it starts to curdle.
- Add the vanilla extract and oil into the soy milk mixture, and whisk until combined.
- Pour into the dry ingredients, mix well, and add the mincemeat.
- Mix until fully combined and spoon into cake cases.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, until a knife comes out clean.
- Cool, and ice once cool!
Preheat the oven to 165C/330F