Is there much better than a freshly baked chocolate chip cookie? Not really. Cookies are perfect to just eat as they are, or to bake up and take to an event. That’s where these cookies come in – and this month’s MiniMoFo too! These cookies are great to pack up and eat outdoors, I took them to a family do and everyone enjoyed them.
I’ve spent years perfecting my chocolate chip cookie recipe. I’ve cycled through many variations – ones that are soft and cakey, ones that are crispy, ones that are all brown sugar, ones that are all white….and so on. All of which are good, but they’re not this recipe. My husband even declared this to be his favourite, which is quite a compliment!
The idea for these cookies actually came from Reddit, of all places, where I saw a recipe that used a mixture of baking powder, water, and oil as an egg replacer. They mixed it all together and then poured it into the dough, but I found it worked just as well – if not better – put straight into the mixture.
These cookies are perfectly crispy on the outside, and soft and chewy on the middle. When you first take them out of the oven, they look a little puffed up and underbaked – but don’t worry! Leave them on the tray for five minutes and they turn into the delicious cookies you can see in the pictures.
Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 175g vegan butter
- 200g brown sugar
- 150g white sugar
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp water
- 0.5 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 350g flour
- 200g chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 170C/340F
- Begin by creaming the butter and sugars together until light and fluffy.
- Add in the baking powder, oil, and water, and stir until well combined.
- Mix in the vanilla and bicarbonate of soda.
- Stir through the flour until you get a stiff dough.
- Fold through the chocolate chips until well distributed through the cookie dough.
- Place walnut size balls of dough on baking trays, leaving space for them to expand.
- Put in the preheated oven for 13-15 minutes, until golden brown. Remove and leave to cool on the trays for at least 5 minutes.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week.