MoFo day 5 is all about sandwiches. Ok, I will admit that I don’t think I eat a ton of sandwiches. If I’m having bread, it’ll at most be an open-faced sandwich because, same amount of bread for twice the filling? Yes please! But then I got thinking, and, well, I like burgers and things like that, and I guess they’re technically sandwiches, right?
So here it is, this is my kind-of-burger-kind-of-sandwich sandwich. Tomato & Basil Seitan Sausage Sandwich!
I recently got Vital Wheat Gluten for the first time and have been going mad making seitan! Using the gluten makes a lovely chewy, dense mock meat and you can flavour it with whatever you like. I based my recipe off Isa’s bean and gluten sausages but adapted the flavours to make it Tomato & Basil flavoured.
Making the sausages is super easy. You just mix all the ingredients in a bowl, shape into sausage shapes, wrap in foil, steam for 40 minutes and then unwrap, and there you have sausages! Fry them off to get crisp, or put them on a barbecue if you like!
I served mine in sundried tomato cobs (recipe coming soon) with rocket (also known as argula) and a balsamic red onion mix.
Tomato & Basil Seitan Sausage Sandwiches
- For the Sausages (makes 8)
- 200g Vital Wheat Gluten
- 1 can cannellini beans, drained
- 3 heaped tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp Nutritional yeast
- 250ml cold vegetable stock
- 2 large red onions, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp oil
For the red onions
- In a bowl, mash the beans until thoroughly mashed.
- Add the rest of the sausage ingredients, and mix well until a dough is formed.
- Split into 8 portions, and roll into sausage shapes.
- Wrap each sausage securely in tin foil, leaving enough space to expand.
- Steam for 40 minutes. You may need to do this in 2 batches is your steamer is not large enough.
- Once the sausages are cooked, remove them from the foil, and fry in a pan until the outsides are crisp.
- Meanwhile, make the onions. Heat the oil in a small saucepan, and fry the onions until they soften.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and sugar to the onions, and cook 5-10 minutes.
- Slice the sausages lengthways, and put in the cobs with the rocket, and a spoonful of onion mixture.
- Serve and enjoy!
3 thoughts on “Tomato & Basil Seitan Sausage (in a sandwich)! – Vegan MoFo Day 5”
Pingback: Pizza Sausages – Walks, Talks & Eats
Pingback: VeganMoFo Day 3 – The Magic of Seitan – Walks, Talks & Eats
Pingback: Vegan Sausages – VeganMoFo Day 18 – Walks, Talks & Eats