Day 27 of VeganMoFo already, wow! Today is about feeding the “young (at heart)” – which really could mean many things! I decided to go for a meal that would make a kid’s heart sing – it’s tasty, a little messy, and contains both chips and cheese!
This is a recipe for “bolognese fries” – or chips, if you prefer. Even better – the chips are homemade, and oil free too! To be honest, I usually make my chips the usual way with oil, but I found out that you can make them without oil quite easily (you just chop them up and pop them in the oven!) and that way works really well for this recipe, they aren’t as heavy tasting with all the bolognese and cheese on top too.
For the cheese on top, I used Tesco’s free from grated mozzarella. It’s a version of Sheese, if you can get that. It melts really well, as you can see. A cheese that melts is something you want for this dish, as it adds a nice creamy element!
I also used Tesco’s frozen vegan mince (I promise I’m not a Tesco ad!) for the bolognese but you could use whatever you have handy, or even rehydrated TVP if that’s all you have access to.
- 800g potatoes, cut into chips
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp marmite
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 250g frozen mince
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- Grated cheese to top
- Preheat your oven to 200C/400F
- Place your potato chips on a baking tray in one layer (you may need two trays for this). Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper, and place in your preheated oven for 35 minutes, until golden. Leave the oven on afterwards!
- Meanwhile, make the bolognese sauce. In a large frying pan, fry the onion and garlic in the oil until softened.
- Add the oregano, basil, and rosemary, and fry for thirty seconds.
- Add the remaining bolognese ingredients (everything else except the cheese) and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Taste and season.
- Once the chips and bolognese are done, place the chips in a roasting tin.
- Top the chips with the bolognese sauce, and then generously grate cheese on top.
- Place the roasting tin in the still hot oven for 5-10 minutes, until the cheese melts.
- Serve immediately.