We’re onto week 2 of VeganMoFo 2018! This week is about Dietary Restrictions…which sounds slightly boring but isn’t actually, it’s a good challenge to think about things people can and can’t eat and learn to cook for them. After all, we’re vegans and there are things we can’t eat – shouldn’t we try to be inclusive too?
Today’s prompt is “creamy without nuts” – a lot of vegan cream/cheese is cashew based, making it unsuitable for those with nut allergies. But there’s an easy way around that – tofu! Using tofu as a cream base is a little old school, but I based it off my gooey cheese sauce which is honestly really good, and has no nuts!
Of course, if you’re cooking for someone with allergies you must be very diligent about what ingredients you use. This recipe has breadcrumbs in – make sure your breadcrumbs are nut free. It’s always better to err on the side of caution when it comes to allergies.
I make up the sauce for this pasta, combine it with cooked pasta, top with breadcrumbs and bake in the oven for a crispy topping. It’s so creamy and moreish!
You could use whatever pasta you want for this – shells would work well – but I used macaroni for the pictures!
Creamy Mac & Cheese
- 250g macaroni pasta, cooked
- 100g breadcrumbs
- 350g silken tofu
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 40g cornstarch
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 180C/355F
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, and add the minced garlic, cook until beginning to brown (keep an eye on it as it turns quickly!).
- Remove from the heat, and add the tofu, nutritional yeast, salt, cornstarch, and vegetable stock.
- Using a stick blender (or transfer to a stand blender) blend the mixture until smooth.
- Return the saucepan to a low heat, and whisk continually until the mixture has thickened.
- Once thickened, continue to whisk for a further minute, before removing from the heat.
- Mix in the cooked pasta, and pour into a baking dish.
- Top with the breadcrumbs, and place in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, until browning on top.
- Serve and enjoy!