It’s cold, and rainy, and there’s a snow drift outside your door. What are you going to make with the ingredients you have?
I took this prompt to basically be a mostly “storecupboard” challenge. If I was stuck behind a snowdrift, I wouldn’t be able to get out to go and buy fresh vegetables. So what would I make with only what I always have in the house? If it’s cold and rainy, I want something nice and warming. And tasty of course.
For me, soup was the obvious choice! Soup and garlic bread. I do a “cheats” garlic bread which involves pitta bread (I always have some in the freezer) and vegan butter and garlic cloves (always have those). My soup is one I actually often make when it’s cold and nasty because it’s lovely and thick and warming. And so nutritious too – full of carroty goodness so you’ll be able to see in the dark easily!
This soup uses a LOT of carrots – I used 8 fairly large ones – but this gives it the body it needs, so that it isn’t watery.
You can add more water when you blend if you want it to be more liquid – but I like it thick and warming!
The garlic breads are really easy – I just mix together a spoonful of vegan butter with a chopped garlic clove, and spread it on top of pitta breads. Then whack it under the grill (broiler) and grill until golden brown!
Carrot & Butterbean Soup
- for the soup:
- 8-9 large carrots, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tin butter beans, drained
- 1 tsp vegetable stock
- boiling water
- salt & pepper
- Pita breads (as many as you like)
- 1-2 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
for the garlic bread:
- Fry the onion and garlic in a saucepan until translucent.
- Add the carrots and seasoning and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add the tomato puree and stock powder, stir, and pour over the boiling water until it just covers the carrots.
- Cover, and cook for 8-10 minutes until carrots are soft.
- Meanwhile make the garlic bread. Mix together the butter and chopped garlic and spread on top of the pita breads. Put under a preheated grill for approx 3-5 minutes until the top is golden and bubbling.
- Add half the butterbeans and cook for two more minutes.
- Either transfer soup mixture to a blender, or use a hand blender, and blend until smooth.
- Back in the saucepan, mix the remaining butterbeans with the blended soup and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Serve in bowls with the garlic bread!
2 thoughts on “Carrot & Butterbean Soup – Vegan MoFo Day 26”
Pingback: VeganMoFo 2019! – Walks, Talks & Eats
Will this amount serve 4?