Mmm, pizza. Who doesn’t love it, with its gooey, stretchy cheese topping? Or lasagne, with the cheesy layer next to the pasta and the tomato sauce? As vegans, sometimes we think we have to miss out on that. But we don’t!
I found this recipe a while ago on Season Square, a French vegan blog, and adapted it (and translated it!) to make this lovely cheese sauce, which goes great in anything you could use cheese sauce for – on pizza, it hardens up a little and forms a gooey topping, in lasagne, using it instead of the bechamel, in sandwiches…the possibilities are endless!
It’s so simple too – you just blend all the ingredients together, and heat gently, till the sauce thickens and you can then use it however you like.
Gooey Cheese Sauce
- 350g silken tofu
- 110ml vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 40g cornstarch
- 1 tsp salt
- In a large saucepan, fry the minced garlic in the oil for about a minute – don’t let it burn!
- Remove from the heat, and add the tofu, vegetable stock, salt, cornstarch and nutritional yeast.
- Using a stick blender (or transfer to a stand blender) blend the mixture until smooth.
- Return the saucepan to a low heat, and whisk continually until the mixture has thickened.
- Once thickened, continue to whisk for a further minute, before removing from the heat.
- Use however you like!