I suppose this recipe could have gone into yesterday’s category too, as we had it when I was a kid too. It’s originally based off a Delia Smith recipe – my mum, being a huge Norwich City FC fan, is also a huge Delia fan. But, I figured since it’s vegan already, and it really is very quick and easy (it’s our go to “I can’t be bothered” meal), it would fit in today’s a lot more.
So if you hadn’t already guessed, today’s category is “Quick, Easy & Delicious”.
It may not be the most photogenic meal – soup rarely is, especially when, like me, you have chipped bowls to serve it in! One day, I will have a giant kitchen with pretty cutlery….let me dream eh?! But it is tasty, warming, and only takes half an hour max to make!
Now, you can make variations of this because I realise not everyone can get borlotti beans. Often, if we can’t find them, we replace them with white kidney beans (also called canellini beans) and it tastes just the same! Pasta wise, feel free to use what you have. Slightly smaller pasta does work better – so macaroni or similar would be good – but I’ve used penne and fusilli in the past too and it works great!
I always serve mine with garlic bread because, who doesn’t love garlic bread? If I don’t have any in the freezer I just make my own – finely chop a garlic clove, mix in a bowl with a spoonful of butter of your choice, and spread over a slice or two of bread. Put it under the grill (broiler, I think, in America) for a few minutes until it goes golden and toasted!
Borlotti Bean Soup
- 180g pasta
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 heaped tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 tsp stock powder, or 1 stock cube
- 1 can borlotti beans, drained
- Salt & Pepper
- Boiling water
- In a saucepan, fry the onion and garlic until softened.
- Add in the herbs, stock powder, salt and pepper & tomato puree and mix well.
- Stir through the beans, and, with a fork, mash about half of them.
- Stir in the pasta, and then pour over the boiling water until it just covers the pasta.
- Let cook until the pasta is done, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with garlic bread!