It’s the beginning of Week 3 of VeganMoFo 2018, and this week is Budget Week – where we aim to create meals that are both delicious, and budget friendly. A common criticism against veganism is that it’s expensive – and it’s true, if you’re constantly buying artisan vegan foods and treats, it can get expensive. But I’m of the opinion that the same is true of a non-vegan diet too – you could easily spend a lot of money on fancy food there as well! Veganism itself can be affordable and still tasty, and this week will aim to show that!
For the first day of this week, the prompt is “Storecupboard Meal” – making a meal with ingredients commonly found in your cupboards, without having to go to the shops to buy things. I made this spicy bean soup – it’s similar to my borlotti bean soup recipe, but with kidney beans and spices. The addition of pasta in the soup makes it a nice hearty meal and gorgeously warming on cold evenings! If you want it more soupy, just add more water, but I prefer my soups to be really thick.
Spicy Bean and Pasta Soup
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoky paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp stock powder
- 180g dry pasta
- boiling water
- Begin by frying the onion and garlic in a little oil until fragrant and translucent. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the spices, and cook for a minute.
- Stir through the tomato puree, stock powder, and kidney beans.
- Using a fork, mash the kidney beans a little until broken up.
- Add the pasta, and pour over the boiling water until it covers the pasta by about an inch.
- Bring to a simmer, and cook for approximately 10 minutes, until the pasta is done.
- Serve and eat!