Happy thanksgiving to all the Americans out there! I’m not American, so I had to think a little when it came to finding a thanksgiving inspired meal for today’s VeganMoFo prompt.
It seems that many of the ingredients used in American thanksgiving meals are similar to what we Brits use in Christmas dinners. With a few exceptions like sweet potatoes (and marshmallows?), and nuts like pecans.
I decided to go with what I know – brussels sprouts and cranberries – and add in some American elements – sweet potatoes and pecans. I’m afraid I wasn’t quite brave enough to put marshmallows in my meal.
Rather than doing a big roast, I made pasta! It may not be a traditional thanksgiving meal, but then as a Brit I am not a traditional thanksgiving celebrator. It tasted really good!
The meal itself is pretty simple – just roast the veg, toast the pecans, and cook the pasta. Then stir together the vegetables and pasta, and top with the toasted pecans. So much easier than a full roast dinner!
I also topped my pasta with some of the Sainsbury’s vegan Wensleydale & Cranberries, feeling that this was an appropriate usage of a cheese I wasn’t really sure what to do with. It worked well – so if you have any cheese like this, give it a go.
Thanksgiving Pasta with Sweet Potatoes, Brussels Sprouts, Cranberries and Pecans
- 3 sweet potatoes, cubed
- 250g brussels sprouts, halved
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 30g cranberries
- 250g dried pasta
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 60g pecans, chopped
- Salt & Pepper
- Preheat your oven to 200C/400F
- Toss the sweet potatoes and brussels sprouts in the salt and pepper and olive oil, and place on a baking tray (or two if needed).
- Place in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, add the cranberries, stir, and return to the oven for a further 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta.
- Next, in a frying pan, melt the vegan butter, and add the chopped pecans.
- Fry until the pecans are fragrant and crisp – 5-10 minutes.
- Once the pasta and vegetables are done, drain the pasta and return to the saucepan.
- Stir through the roasted vegetables until well mixed.
- Serve topped with the toasted pecans!