Today’s VeganMoFo prompt is about holidays, so I chose a holiday I love to make food for – Christmas! Now, it’s a bit early for me to be making mince pies or Christmas pudding truffles, so I chose to use the flavours of Christmas to make an everyday meal.
Brussels sprouts are an integral part of Christmas dinner, and if you cook them right (roast or fry – don’t just boil!) they are delicious. I often have a bag of frozen brussels in my freezer which I use year round. For this meal, I used those (defrosted first), but you could use leftover ones from Christmas too!
I used vegan bacon in this recipe too – yes, two days running with vegan bacon, but the recipe I use for seitan bacon makes enough for more than one lot, so I use the rest! It’s a great recipe and one I make regularly. Saves having to buy premade stuff (plus you get more to snack on here!)
Brussels & Bacon Pasta
- Enough pasta for two
- 400g frozen brussels, defrosted and chopped up (or use leftovers)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 pack vegan bacon, sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt & pepper
- Begin by frying the onion and garlic in the oil until translucent.
- Add the brussels, bacon, and seasoning, and fry over a medium heat until the brussels begin to caramelise and go brown.
- Taste and adjust the salt and pepper if necessary.
- Serve with your cooked pasta!