Today’s VeganMoFo prompt is about food to bring to a Pot Luck. Now I have never been to a pot luck, and I don’t even know if they’re a thing here in the UK, but from what I’ve seen, it’s a bit like a buffet only more hot food. People bring their own food and everyone helps themselves. Stews and casseroles seem to be a common thing. I wanted to inject a bit of a British flavour to it, so I made baked beans.
This may be a shocking turn of events, but I don’t actually like canned baked beans. I know, revoke my British citizenship (go for it, I don’t mind). But homemade ones are different. I added vegan bacon to these beans – I actually made my own using this recipe, which is my favourite, but shop bought vegan bacon also works well!
You could serve this as part of a breakfast, or on the side of a roast, or just like me have it on bagels. I’ll be honest, I think everything is better on bagels!
Baked Beans and Vegan Bacon
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 packet of vegan bacon, diced
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 tin white kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- salt + pepper
- Begin by frying the onion and garlic in a little oil until translucent.
- Add the diced bacon, and fry for a few minutes more until starting to brown.
- Add the paprika, herbs, and tomato puree and stir through.
- Stir in the kidney beans, stock, and chopped tomatoes, and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer for 10 minutes until thickened. Season to taste!