For today’s post, I’m veganising a local recipe. I recently moved to Derby and this seemed like the perfect opportunity to make something I’ve been planning on for a while – a Bakewell Tart!
Bakewell is a village in the Peak District in Derbyshire, and it’s from there that this gorgeous tart originates. You may be more familiar with the mass produced, not-vegan mini “cherry bakewells” that have white icing and a glace cherry on top – but the original version is so much better!
It consists of a crisp pastry shell, a layer of raspberry jam, a dense almondy frangipane, and flaked almonds. It takes a while to make as you have to blind bake the pastry first – but you could always use a shop bought crust if you really want. I just like the experience of making something entirely from scratch!
Serve on its own, or warmed up with cream or ice cream.
Vegan Bakewell Tart
- 210g plain flour
- 115g vegan butter, chilled
- 15g powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp cold water
- 150g vegan butter
- 150g ground almonds
- 150g sugar
- 100g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 100ml milk (I used almond milk)
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 2 tbsp raspberry jam
- Flaked almonds, to top
for the pastry:
for the frangipane:
- Preheat the oven to 200C/390F
- First, make the pastry. Mix the flour and icing sugar together in the bowl, and add the butter. Rub together with your fingers until you get a mix resembling coarse breadcrumbs.
- Next, add the water, and bring together until a smooth dough is formed.
- Roll out the pastry until it is about 5mm thick, and drape over a greased pie/tart tin. Do not trim the edges, allow to hang over the edge of the tin as the pastry will shrink in the oven.
- Place tin foil over the pastry and fill with baking beans. Place in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, remove the beans and foil and cook the pastry for a further 10 minutes or until it starts to turn golden. This dries out the base and ensures no soggy bottom!
- Once the base is cooked, set aside (leave the oven on!) and begin on the frangipane.
- Melt the butter either in the microwave or in a saucepan, and add to a bowl along with the sugar. Mix well.
- Add the almond extract and ground almonds and mix again.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder, and bicarb, and mix through, adding the milk to get a smooth consistency. Finally, mix in the cider vinegar.
- Spread the pastry base with the raspberry jam. If you need, heat the jam for 30 seconds in the microwave to make it spreadable.
- Spread the frangipane mix over the jam, making sure to cover it all.
- Evenly sprinkle the flaked almonds over the frangipane.
- Place the tart in the oven for 20 minutes, then remove and cover with foil. This stops the top from burning.
- Put the tart back in the oven for another 15-20 minutes or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Leave to cool, and serve!