These cookies are slightly different though, as for VeganMoFo 18 day 10 we’re going gluten free! As always with making allergen free food you need to check with the person you’re making it for about what they can/can’t eat, and what level of cross contamination is ok for them – I’d classify these cookies as having “no gluten ingredients” because my kitchen is full of wheat products so I can’t guarantee them to be 100% gluten free, but if you made them somewhere without that, they would be!
I wanted to show how easy it is to make tasty gluten free food. I have eaten gluten free in the past when doing elimination diets for my stomach issues and I found that often, gluten free ready made flour works really well in recipes you already have! For this, I used Lidl’s own gluten free self raising blend, which is one of the cheapest, but any pre-made self raising flour would work.
The recipe is mostly based off my regular cookie recipe and it works pretty much the same, although I find the gluten free cookies have to bake a few minutes longer than my usual ones. They are so good that my husband even specifically requests them!
Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
– 130g vegan butter
– 80g brown sugar
– 80g white sugar
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– 1 tbsp golden syrup
– 250g gluten free self raising flour
– 100g dark chocolate chips
Preheat the oven to 175C/350F
1. Begin by creaming the butter and sugars together until light and fluffy.
2. Next, add the vanilla and golden syrup and mix thoroughly.
3. Stir through the flour to form a stiff dough.
4. Finally, mix in the chocolate chips.
5. Place walnut size balls of cookie dough on a lined baking sheet, leaving space for them to rise.
6. Place in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, until golden brown.
7. Leave to cool on tray.