Today’s meal is all about one colour. The prompt is to make a meal that is all made up of a single colour. I could have gone the hard route, and chosen blue, or black, or something difficult like that, but I am lazy so I decided to make a meal that was all red.
I have heard that in America, pasta can simply have a “red sauce” which is apparently some indistinguishable red coloured sauce. I can’t exactly complain – we have “brown sauce” in the UK, which isn’t a pasta sauce but a condiment much like ketchup.
My “red sauce” however is pretty simple, and nice and fresh – using red peppers, fresh tomatoes, some smoked paprika and some bright red sriracha to add some heat.
I also found this red coloured pasta in the supermarket too, meaning that not only was the sauce red, the pasta itself was too! It added another element of heat to the dish which was really nice, although you could definitely use regular pasta if you like.
This pasta would go really well with some vegan cheese grated on top, but I didn’t do that for the photo as it would somewhat ruin the “red” look!
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 red pepper, diced small
- 400g tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp red chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp sriracha
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp vegetable bouillon powder
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 500ml passata
- 180g pasta
- Begin by frying the onion and garlic in the oil until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the diced pepper, tomatoes, and chilli flakes, and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes until the tomatoes soften.
- Add the paprika, sriracha, bouillon powder, basil, and passata, and stir well.
- Cook for 10 minutes (or longer if you like) until a thick sauce is formed.
- Meanwhile, boil the pasta in salted water until cooked.
- Once cooked, drain the pasta and stir through the red sauce.
- Serve (with vegan cheese if you like!)
7 thoughts on “Red Pasta – VeganMoFo Day 14”
Great way to approach the theme – I love a good simple pasta meal – and last week I almost bought red pasta using tomato colouring but baulked at the price!
I got this at a clearance price because yeah – coloured pasta is often pretty expensive! Simple pasta is sometimes the best kind of cosy meal.
I love a good red sauce! I like the addition of peppers.
Oooh, chilli pasta sounds exciting!
I believe, unfortunately, it has been discontinued. I got it at a discount price of about 20p when they were clearing out the shelves. It packs a bit of a kick though which I kept forgetting about and making my sauces with the regular amount of spice, leading to some very hot meals!
Pingback: Potato & savoy cabbage Stirfry | Kartoffel-Wirsing-Pfanne – VGNGF = vegan, glutenfree, delicious.
Pingback: Rainbow Pizza – VeganMoFo Day 7 – Walks, Talks & Eats