Today’s VeganMoFo theme is Multicolour! To make a meal with as many colours as possible in it. I instantly was drawn towards roasted vegetables, as not only are they delicious, they tend to be full of different colours.
Roasting vegetables is a really easy way of making your vegetables taste wonderful. It takes a little prep work – chopping your veg into similar sized pieces – but then you can just put it in the oven and forget until done! I decided to serve these vegetables with couscous, which is another really easy grain to prepare – just pour over hot vegetable stock (or boiling water) and leave for 5-10 minutes, then it’s done!
For this recipe I tried to use lots of coloured vegetables, and did peppers (four colours), courgettes, butternut squash, red and white onion, beetroot, cherry tomatoes, and garlic. However you could use whatever you have on hand if you are not as into getting it multicoloured!
Roasted Vegetable Couscous
- Vegetables of your choice, I used:
- 3 courgettes
- 1 red onion
- 1 white onion
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 1 butternut squash
- 4 peppers
- 3 small beetroot
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes
- 200g couscous
- 500ml hot vegetable stock
- Salt & Pepper for seasoning
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
You also need:
- Preheat Oven to 200C/400F
- Begin preparing your vegetables. Wash and peel those that need it, and chop them all, apart from the garlic and tomatoes, in to similar sized chunks – about half an inch across.
- Chop your garlic into rough chunks, not too small else it will burn.
- Place all the vegetables, except the tomatoes, on baking trays – you’ll need more than one – and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Toss the vegetables with the olive oil, and bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- After thirty minutes, add the cherry tomatoes and toss again. Place back in the oven for a further 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the couscous. Combine the couscous and hot stock in a large bowl, stir, and cover tightly with cling-film. Leave for 10 minutes, then fluff up with a fork.
- Once the vegetables are cooked, stir them through the couscous. Season to taste, and serve.
2 thoughts on “Roasted Vegetable Couscous – VeganMoFo Day 15”
That looks so pretty! I’m a bit strange about mixing food, so I would probably eat this by picking out one vegetable at a time and saving the best for last (my ranking here is yellow peppers first, courgette last).
You can’t beat roast veg. I love cooking up a big tray. I’m just back from my hols and catching up on Mofo. I’m enjoying your recipes and you are doing a fab job behind the scenes of Mofo.