Today’s prompt is to veganise an old family recipe. I immediately thought of these cookies – they remind me so much of my childhood and were probably the ones my mum made the most! Super easy and tasty, they go well as a snack or with a cup of tea.
The name of these cookies, “Dr Isaac’s Nutty Crunch Cookies” is a bit odd, because nobody really knows who Dr Isaac is, they don’t have any nuts in, and while they do have a little crunch, they are actually fairly soft cookies. But, that’s their name and it always has been, so I guess it stays!
When I asked my mum for her recipe, I was anticipating having to veganise it – as the prompt goes – maybe switch out the egg or some milk or anything. But…it turned out they were already vegan! So long as you use vegan butter they are actually already vegan cookies. So, maybe it doesn’t count because I didn’t have to actually veganise anything but I still wanted to share!
They’re really simple to make and don’t take long at all so are great for an “emergency cookie” situation (we all have them…right?).
When you bake them, make sure you place the dough spaced apart as they do spread quite a bit. If you’re not careful you end up with a giant single cookie on the sheet (not bad, but, not quite what you want)!
Dr Isaac's Nutty Crunch Cookies
- 110g vegan butter
- 140g sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp golden syrup (use agave, maple, etc if you don’t have golden syrup)
- 1/2 tsp bicarb of soda
- 2 tbsp boiling water
- 170g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 110g oats
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F
- In a bowl, cream the butter and sugar until fluffy.
- In a separate cup, dissolve the bicarb into the boiling water, and then add it to the butter/sugar mix.
- Add the vanilla and golden syrup, and mix well.
- Stir through the flour, baking powder, and oats, and mix until a stiff paste is formed.
- Place walnut-sized pieces of the dough on a baking sheet (no need to flatten them) spaced well apart.
- Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes until turned golden brown (they go a lovely orangey colour!).
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool on the sheet.