This month’s MiniMofo is all about favourites. I had to think long and hard about this, because it’s surprisingly difficult to narrow down your favourite food. Eventually I decided on my favourite vegetable: sweet potatoes! And I combined that with my husband’s favourite food: roast potatoes!
Now, if you’re British, no doubt you’ve had roast potatoes a fair bit. Part of Sunday dinner, or Christmas dinner, right? Perfect morsels of deliciousness – crispy on the outside, soft and fluffy on the inside – yum! Usually, of course, you use white potatoes for roasties, but I wanted to be a bit different…
These are done in pretty much the same way as regular roasties, but incase you haven’t made those, I put together a little pictorial.
First, peel your potatoes, and cut them into chunks – about an inch and a half in size. Not too big, but not small either. They don’t have to be super even, that’s part of the fun.
Next, put them in a large pot of boiling water, and boil for 5 minutes. Then drain them immediately – you don’t want them to cook too long!
Once they’re drained, pop them back in the saucepan, put the lid on, and give it a good shake. Hold the lid down well, or you’ll get flying potatoes everywhere. You want them to be all roughed up on the edges, this helps them get that nice crispy roasted outer.
Finally, place them in a roasting dish, toss with salt, pepper, and vegan butter or oil, and put in an oven preheated to 210C/410F for 40-45 minutes. And that’s it – you’re done!
Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 600g sweet potatoes, peeled
- 2 tbsp vegan butter, melted, or sub oil of choice
- Salt + Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 210C/410F
- Chop your potatoes into chunks about an inch and a half in size.
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Once boiling, carefully add your chopped potatoes.
- Place the lid on the pot, and boil covered for 5 minutes, then drain immediately.
- Return the drained potatoes to the pot (off the heat), put the lid on, and give it a good shake. You want the potatoes to be roughed up at the edges.
- Next, tip your potatoes into a roasting dish, and toss with salt, pepper, and your butter/oil.
- Place the roasting dish in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes, until golden and crispy, tossing once halfway through.
- Serve however you like!