Anyone who knows me will know that I am a huge fan of the Discworld books, by Sir Terry Pratchett. I recently, and sadly, finished reading The Shepherd’s Crown, the final book written before Sir Terry passed away, and it’s an awful feeling to know we will never see that world again. If you’ve ever though about reading the books – don’t hesitate, go read! You will not regret it.
Food is often mentioned in the Discworld books, and one of the Disc’s most famous purveyor of food is C.M.O.T Dibbler, who’s sausages are “a once-in-a-lifetime experience” and who’s pies are “criminal”.
These pies are perhaps improved from Mr. Dibbler’s own – being quite edible and palatable (and you know where the filling comes from!) but they are my tribute to the Disc.
I made the filling from seitan and used a hot water pastry for the crust, meaning these are very durable pies so won’t fall apart if you take them on picnics or anything – perfect!
I baked these in ramekins – the recipe will make about 6 ramekin sized pies. You could make them smaller or bigger, just make the seitan mixture into smaller/bigger balls.
C.M.O.T. Dibbler's Famous Pies
- for the filling
- 40g chickpea flour (substitute all purpose if you don’t have this)
- 220g Vital Wheat Gluten
- 15g nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Pinch nutmeg
- Pinch white pepper
- 1 tsp stock powder/1 stock cube
- 2 tsp vegan worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 400ml water
- 500g plain flour
- 150g vegan butter
- 250ml water
- pinch salt
for the crust
- In a large bowl mix together all the dry ingredients for the pie filling. Pour in the wet, and mix until a dough is formed.
- Knead the mix for two minutes, but not longer.
- Form the dough into pieces slightly smaller than the ramekin you plan on baking the pies in. They will expand when steaming.
- Wrap the pieces in foil (like a boiled sweet) and steam for 20 minutes (longer if you are making a big pie).
- When steamed, allow to cool before making the pies.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/390F. Grease and flour the ramekins to make sure the pastry won’t stick.
- Make the pastry by melting together the butter and water in a saucepan, and bringing to the boil.
- In a bowl, mix together the flour and salt. Make a well in the centre and pour over the butter/water mix.
- Mix to form a dough, and (carefully, it’s hot!) knead for a minute with your hands.
- Break off pieces of the pastry and press into the ramekins, lining them and forming an overlap at the rim of the ramekin.
- Place the filling pieces in the pastry cases, trimming with a knife if necessary.
- Once all the cases are filled, break off more pastry and press to cover the pies. Firmly pinch together the edges creating a tight seal.
- Bake pies in a preheated oven for 30-40 minutes until the pastry is golden.
- Either eat hot, or cold, it doesn’t matter!
One thought on “C.M.O.T. Dibbler’s Famous Pies! – Vegan MoFo Day 7”
Pingback: Jammy Devils – Walks, Talks & Eats