Carrying on with the budget theme for VeganMoFo, today we’re all about “Super Cheap Sweets”. Now, anyone who knows me will know I never skip the sweet food (OK, I’d eat sweet over savoury if I had to pick) but if you’re buying fancy vegan cakes and chocolates, it can get more expensive. Thankfully, it’s easy to make cheap and tasty sweets by yourself, like this banana bread!
Bananas are a great fruit to bake with cheaply, because the older they get, the better they are for baking – and the cheaper they are! To make banana bread, you want bananas with plenty of brown spots, and I often find these discounted in supermarkets. Using bananas, you don’t need anything like eggs in baking, which makes it even cheaper (and of course vegan).
Chocolate chips added to banana bread make it even tastier, but you could sub them out for any add ins you like – walnuts are nice, or dried fruit if you like it! Just check your chocolate chips for milk ingredients before you use them.
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- 4 medium bananas, mashed
- 225g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- large pinch salt
- 110g sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 75ml sunflower oil
- 100g chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 170C/340F
- Begin by mixing the mashed bananas, sugar, salt, oil, and vanilla extract in a large bowl.
- Stir in the flour and baking powder to form a smooth batter.
- Add the chocolate chips and mix.
- Pour into a lined loaf tin.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 50-60 minutes, until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tin (or eat warm!).