It’s still budget week in VeganMoFo, and today I have one of our favourite cheap meals – dhal! Dhal is a really versatile meal, as you can put all kinds of vegetables and even different types of lentils in it. I usually use red lentils, as they’re cheap and quick to cook (you don’t have to soak them!). For this dhal recipe I used tomatoes – from a tin to keep it cheaper, but it’s also nice with fresh tomatoes in it too.
It’s a cold and rainy day here today, which makes it perfect weather to make a cosy dhal recipe! I served mine with rice, but I also like it with pita bread, chappati, or even toast (yes, curry on toast – you should try it!).
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp curry powder (hot or mild – your choice!)
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 150g red lentils
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- salt and pepper to season
- Begin by frying the onion and garlic in a pan with a little oil until translucent. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the spices, and stir for a minute to let them toast off.
- Stir through the tomato puree and red lentils.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and enough water to cover the lentils by about an inch.
- Cover, and simmer for 25 minutes, stirring regularly, until the lentils are soft!
- Serve hot with your side of choice.
2 thoughts on “Tomato Dhal – VeganMoFo Day 20”
I feel like I can taste it through the photo! My dhals are never tomato-based, so I love this idea.
I love the colour, I don’t think I’ve ever had dhal that shade of red!