Some may say it’s too early to be thinking about autumn and all things pumpkin, but I can definitely feel a chill in the air – and besides, when is it too early to be thinking of tasty food? This year, you can even get vegan pumpkin spice lattes at Starbucks in the UK, so what better choice for “emoji day” than the good old pumpkin?🎃🎃🎃
I discovered recently that here in the UK you can buy canned pumpkin in Sainsbury’s for just £1! This was excellent news to me as often I’d tried making recipes that called for pumpkin puree by cooking and blending a pumpkin from scratch which is a bit of a hassle. Apparently this has been available for years but I never knew. At first, I wanted to make cookies, but I decided against that and went for spiced pumpkin cake bars!
These are spiced with cinnamon, ginger, allspice, and cloves – and the canned pumpkin gives them a gorgeous texture. Sprinkled on top with a spiced sugar mixture they go perfectly with a mug of tea or coffee and will definitely give you autumnal feelings.
Pumpkin Spice Cake
- 100g vegan butter (I used vitalite)
- 150g pumpkin puree
- 100g white sugar
- 150g brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 0.5 tsp ground ginger
- 0.5 tsp allspice
- pinch ground cloves
- 350g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 0.5 tsp bicarbonate of soda To top
- 50g white sugar
- pinch allspice
- pinch cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 175C/350F
- Begin by creaming the butter and sugars together.
- Mix in the pumpkin puree and spices.
- Stir through the flour, baking powder, and bicarbonate of soda to make a stiff mix.
- Press the mixture into a lined baking dish.
- Mix together the remaining white sugar, allspice, and cinnamon, and sprinkle evenly over the pumpkin mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven until turning golden in colour.
- Cool in the tray, and then cut into squares.