Today’s VeganMoFo prompt is to “cook for your best friend”. I’m going to be super cheesy here and say, my best friend is my husband. And because of that cheese, I’m giving you a recipe involving vegan cheese!
Portobello mushrooms may be a very stereotypical “vegan” food – usually served unseasoned and slightly soggy at a barbecue – but they are also one of my husband’s favourite food, so I wanted to make a super tasty mushroom meal. These have a crunchy cheesy filling, and are topped with even more vegan cheese.
So, this meal is also really simple to make as it uses a lot of “convenience” foods. Breadcrumbs – which I just make from blitzing up crackers and keep a bag in the freezer – flavoured cream cheese (I used Sainsbury’s Free From) and cheese shreds for topping. If you can’t find flavoured cream cheese, mix a little garlic and mixed herbs into your regular cream cheese. This might not be the cheapest vegan meal, but who cheaps out for their best friend?
Cheesy Stuffed Mushrooms
- 4 portobello mushrooms, stems removed
- 4 tbsp vegan garlic and herb cream cheese
- 50g breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 50g vegan cheese shreds
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F
- Begin by placing the breadcrumbs, cream cheese, and olive oil in a bowl, and mixing until they are all combined.
- Split the breadcrumb mixture into four even parts, and stuff each part into one of your mushrooms.
- Sprinkle your cheese shreds evenly on top of the mushrooms.
- Place them all on a baking tray, and then into your preheated oven for 20 minutes, until the stuffing is golden.
- Serve warm!