We’re into a new week in VeganMoFo! This week is Entertaining Week, and today is about party food. Now, I think for parties you can totally get away with buying loads of crisps and making some hummus, but sometimes you want something slightly more homemade. That’s where these come in. They’re really simple to make, but a bit fancier than just buying crisps or frozen oven chips.
These are baked polenta chips. Chips being like what Americans call fries, not what Brits call crisps. They’re made using pre-packaged polenta – here in the UK you can get a pack from the supermarket for about 75p – and just tossed with seasoning and popped in the oven.
I use the polenta in the image above. You can make your own – make polenta as you usually would, only with a little less water, put it in a greased tin, and refrigerate until cold. Then just cut into chip shaped slices.
These work great with dips and anything party-like. You can use different spices if you like – add in some smoked paprika and cayenne for spice, or some garam masala for an Indian feel…whatever you fancy.
- 1 package pre-made polenta (500g)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- several grinds black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F
- Begin by slicing your polenta into chip/fry sized pieces. Try to keep them roughly evenly sized.
- Place the polenta slices on a lined baking tray, and toss (gently!) with the remaining ingredients.
- Put it all in the oven for 45 minutes, until the polenta is golden and crispy.
- Serve and enjoy!