It’s the beginning of Week 3 in VeganMoFo land! This week consists of ingredient challenges and it’s a tricky one. When they say “challenges”, they really mean challenges. The first day asks us to imagine being in a zombie apocalypse, without access to the supermarket, what would we make? Having never actually been in a zombie apocalypse, this is a little tricky, but I decided to imagine that I wanted tasty food, that would also be portable, in case you wanted to eat it on the move.
Koftas are, to super simplify them, basically spiced meatballs. Often they’re served with a curry sauce or similar, but I put them in bread with rocket leaves, because they are very tasty that way. Rocket, well, I don’t know much about foraging, but you could surely forage some salad (er, if you know what you’re doing)!
For the koftas themselves, all the ingredients are things you can keep in the store cupboard! The breadcrumbs can be made by crushing up a box of crackers (like ritz, etc) which are storecupboard friendly. If you are not in a zombie apocalypse, and have access to a freezer…they freeze really well!
Kidney Bean Koftas
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp salt
- several grinds black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 100g breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp oil
- Begin by mashing together the beans, curry powder, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder in a large bowl. Mash until pretty thoroughly mashed!
- Add the tomato puree, peanut butter, and breadcrumbs, and bring together to form a stiff dough like mixture.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, and once hot, form your mixture into twelve balls, and add to the pan.
- Fry over a medium heat, turning regularly, until golden brown.
- Serve as you like!