It’s week two of VeganMoFo 2017! That means a different theme – this week’s is “Behind the Scenes” with each day being about something…well, behind the scenes, in your cooking life. Today is about gadgets you can’t live without. Mine would be my immersion blender. Or stick blender, whatever you like to call it. I used to think they were just a gimmick and I was happy with my countertop blender, but then one day my Granny found out that I didn’t have one, was horrified, and bought me one (she reads this blog once in a blue moon – if you’re reading this, thanks Granny!). And it was brilliant! So much easier than transferring everything from a pan to a blender, then back to the pan, then washing it all up. The stick blender is easy to wash up and control, you can blend to your desired consistency just by watching it…it’s really good.
First of all, please ignore the giant chip in my bowl. I am so embarrassed about that, apparently I didn’t notice when I was taking photographs. Anyone want to get me pretty bowls for my birthday? 😉
This soup may sound familiar to you, because it’s very similar to my chickpea tahini pasta recipe, just in soup form. It’s lovely and warming for a cold, cold night – this would be absolutely perfect midwinter when you need to cosy up with a hot soup. I served it with pita bread this time, but if you fancied making (or buying) some freshly baked bread, it would be excellent!
Chickpea Tahini Soup
- 1 onion, chopped,
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tins chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp cayenne powder
- 3 tbsp tahini
- juice of 1 lemon (approx 3 tbsp)
- 500ml vegetable stock
- salt + pepper to taste
1. Begin by frying the onion and garlic in the oil until translucent.
2. Stir in the cumin and saute for 30 seconds.
3. Add all the remaining ingredients, stir, bring to a boil and then lower to a simmer, and cook for 10 minutes, then remove from the heat.
4. Using your stick blender, or a countertop one if you don’t have one, blend the soup until it’s completely smooth.
5. Return to the heat and warm through. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
6. Serve in bowls with bread!
4 thoughts on “Chickpea Tahini Soup – VeganMoFo Day 9”
I love a good chickpea soup! I also love my immersion blender – I brought it over with me when we moved to Prague!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thankfully it’s pretty easy to transport too!
This soup sounds really good; it’s definitely starting to feel like soup weather here, so I’ll have to give it a try soon!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Pingback: Cookbook of the Month: VeganMoFo 2017 | Herbivores' Heaven