Yesterday, I posted a recipe for cheesy sausage rolls, which are pretty obviously imitating a non-vegan counterpart. They are really delicious, as are a lot of vegan cheese and meat substitutes, but sometimes it’s nice to step away from that and make something that is tasty of its own accord, not because it’s imitating something else. That’s what today’s VeganMoFo prompt is about – making an original vegan meal, something that isn’t replicating a non-vegan food, but is great as it is.
This dish is possibly my husband’s favourite meal. It’s one he always requests, which is great because it is so simple. Fry off onion and garlic, add some chickpeas, vegetable stock, and spinach, and cook it all down a little, then stir through hot cooked pasta! And that’s it.
This recipe also gives me a great opportunity to lament about how much spinach shrinks. Look at this!:
It’s the same amount of spinach in both pictures – just uncooked and then cooked!
Chickpea Spinach Pasta
- Cooked pasta (enough for 2)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 can chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 100ml vegetable stock
- 150g fresh spinach
- Salt and pepper
- Begin by frying the onion and garlic in the oil until softened and translucent.
- Add the chickpeas, and fry for a few minutes more.
- Add the vegetable stock and the spinach, stir, and cook until the spinach has wilted.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Stir through cooked pasta, and serve!
One thought on “Chickpea Spinach Pasta – VeganMoFo Day 7”
I make a very similar dish but with red lentils instead of chickpeas. Such a classic!
LikeLiked by 1 person