Three weeks of VeganMoFo down! We’re into the final weeks of November now – how strange is that? Christmas is nearing (but not yet) and it’s definitely getting very cold.
This week in VeganMoFo is Memories and Traditions week. This will incorporate American Thanksgiving but also involves all sorts of food memories and experiences! Today’s prompt is “Your favourite food memory” which is hard because – so many!
It had to be dessert, because I have a massive sweet tooth. Something baked too, because I love baking. And thinking back to times I’ve had good memories about baked goods…I came to my Granny’s house, where she always had cake. She lives in a little village and they are very…village-y, and she would always have cakes she bought from the local WI (Women’s Institute). My absolute favourite cake was the cherry and almond loaf cake – a golden cake with an almondy hit and sweet glace cherries through it.
So, I made it. Mine isn’t quite as pretty as the WI version – my slivered almonds on top seemed to migrate to the middle – but it tastes just as good!
Baked in a loaf tin, this cake slices well and is lovely with a warm cup of tea (or coffee if you must). The glace cherries are rinsed and chopped into quarters – this is to stop them sinking – and it all bakes until lovely and golden brown.
Cherry & Almond Loaf Cake
- 250ml almond milk
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 160g plain flour
- 80g ground almonds
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- pinch salt
- 75g glace cherries, rinsed and quartered
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp almond essence
- 80g vegan butter, melted
- 130g sugar
- 10g slivered almonds
- Preheat the oven to 170C/340F
- In a jug or bowl, combine the almond milk and lemon juice, and set aside to let curdle.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, ground almonds, baking powder, bicarbonate, and salt.
- To the dry bowl, add the glace cherries, and toss to coat.
- Into the almond milk mixture, add the vanilla, almond essence, melted butter, and sugar, and whisk to combine.
- Slowly pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture, and gently stir until all combined.
- Pour into a lined loaf tin, and sprinkle on top with the slivered almonds.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean!
- Cool in the tin, and slice and serve!
3 thoughts on “Cherry and Almond Loaf Cake – VeganMoFo day 21”
I would love a slice of this right now (with a cup of tea, obviously!). My dad’s favourite cake was a cherry loaf, so we had something like this quite frequently when I was a kid. My brother and I were obsessed with glace cherries, and just used to hang around the kitchen hoping for a chance to eat one straight from the pot!
Wow, I love this. Almonds and cherries are a heavenly match!