Today’s VeganMoFo prompt is to make something in greyscale, or black and white. As with yesterday, I must admit I uh, strayed a little from the prompt. I tried taking photos in black and white and they just didn’t look very good. And as for actual black and white, well the black tends to come from when I forget about whatever is cooking on the hob…
So I am going for the next best, two contrasting colours (and flavours), chocolate and vanilla! These are the same flavours as used in black and white cookies so I think I’m ok.
These cookies, which I call “marble cookies” are round like marbles and made with a half chocolate dough and a half vanilla dough.
I make them with icing sugar (or powdered sugar for the Americans!) which gives a smoother, almost fondant like texture to the cookie, and these are great little cookies to snack on or give as gifts!
- 175g vegan butter
- 150g icing sugar
- 20g cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 300g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Preheat the oven to 160C/320F
- In a bowl, cream together the butter and icing sugar.
- Remove half the creamed mixture and place in a separate bowl.
- To the first bowl, add the cocoa powder and mix well.
- To the second bowl, add the vanilla extract and again mix well.
- Now, to each bowl, add 150g (half) of the flour, and a quarter teaspoon of the bicarbonate of soda. Mix well.
- Next make your marbles. Take a teaspoon sized bit of dough from each bowl, and in your hands, roll together to form a ball.
- Place on a baking sheet, and repeat with the remaining dough.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes, then leave to cool.