Today’s VeganMoFo prompt is to make something in greyscale, or black and white. As with yesterday, I must admit I uh, strayed a little from the prompt. I tried taking photos in black and white and they just didn’t look very good. And as for actual black and white, well the black tends to come from when I forget about whatever is cooking on the hob…
So I am going for the next best, two contrasting colours (and flavours), chocolate and vanilla! These are the same flavours as used in black and white cookies so I think I’m ok.
These cookies, which I call “marble cookies” are round like marbles and made with a half chocolate dough and a half vanilla dough.
I make them with icing sugar (or powdered sugar for the Americans!) which gives a smoother, almost fondant like texture to the cookie, and these are great little cookies to snack on or give as gifts!
- 175g vegan butter
- 150g icing sugar
- 20g cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 300g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Preheat the oven to 160C/320F
- In a bowl, cream together the butter and icing sugar.
- Remove half the creamed mixture and place in a separate bowl.
- To the first bowl, add the cocoa powder and mix well.
- To the second bowl, add the vanilla extract and again mix well.
- Now, to each bowl, add 150g (half) of the flour, and a quarter teaspoon of the bicarbonate of soda. Mix well.
- Next make your marbles. Take a teaspoon sized bit of dough from each bowl, and in your hands, roll together to form a ball.
- Place on a baking sheet, and repeat with the remaining dough.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes, then leave to cool.
5 thoughts on “Marble Cookies – VeganMoFo Day 18”
They look so perfect and uniform! I don’t think I’ve ever heard of using icing sugar for cookies, I’m really curious as to what the texture is like.
It works really well! I first heard of it when reading a recipe for “snowball cookies”, which are kinda similar, but have almonds in. I think it creates a lighter, smoother texture than regular cookies.
They’re easy to make uniform because they don’t have too much rising agent in so they don’t go all huge on you when you bake them!
Your marble cookies look great; thanks for sharing your recipe! 🙂
Love your take on the prompt! They look tasty 🙂
Those look super cute & yummy!