Okay, I cheated a little on this prompt. The prompt is to make food in “a colour you rarely eat” and I just couldn’t think of anything. So I flipped the prompt on its head and decided to go with a colour I always eat – beige. Beige food has a reputation. Fried, carby, bland food is often beige food and this means that beige food has a reputation for not being particularly good. Not so with this meal! It may be beige but it is healthy, packed with protein from the chickpeas, and tastes delicious!
With the addition of tahini giving this dish a nice sharp flavour – tahini pairs so well with chickpeas (see: hummus) and parsley stirred though at the end to lighten it up, this is one of my favourite pasta dishes!
Seen above served with my homemade garlic bread, this meal is so warming and comforting and creamy!
Chickpea Tahini Pasta
- 180g pasta
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 400ml vegetable stock
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 15g parsley, chopped
- salt + pepper
- Begin by frying the onion and garlic until the onion is translucent.
- Add the cumin, and cook for thirty seconds, stirring constantly.
- Next, add three quarters of the chickpeas (leave the rest aside for now), the nutritional yeast, tahini, vegetable stock, and lemon juice.
- Stir well, and simmer for ten minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta to your specifications!
- Either use a stick blender, or transfer the mixture to a stand-alone blender, and blend until smooth.
- Next, add the rest of the chickpeas and the parsley, and cook for a further five minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as needed, then stir through the pasta and serve!
9 thoughts on “Chickpea Tahini Pasta – VeganMoFo Day 17”
Ha ha – beige food is definitely comfort food – given the tahini is often in sauces and cheese I can see that this would work – will bookmark to try
Beige food has such a bad reputation – it might not always look photo-worthy for blogs and Instagram, but it’s usually so delicious!
Clever you, I was going to skip this challenge, but decided to combine two Vegan Mofo prompts tomorrow with the colour black and black and white pictures. Nice to visit your blog, Its my first time. I love beige food, not always pretty on the plate but its always comforting.
Clever way of going about things – I think it’s good to change things up. And beige never looked so good! This pasta looks so incredibly tasty =)
Pingback: Coconut Cream & Chocolate Hazelnut Cream | Kokoscreme & Schoko-Hazelnut-Creme – VGNGF = vegan, glutenfree, delicious.
Pingback: Hot Chocolate Cupcakes with Toasted Marshmallow Topping – Walks, Talks & Eats
This looks pretty easy and tasty. I don’t know why I’ve never thought to make a sauce with pureed chickpeas before.
Pingback: Chickpea Tahini Soup – VeganMoFo Day 9 – Walks, Talks & Eats
Pingback: Rainbow Pizza – VeganMoFo Day 7 – Walks, Talks & Eats