For day 14 of Vegan MoFo (has it been two weeks already?!) the prompt is to “share something vegan with a non-vegan”.
I may have cheated a little with this one. That’s becoming a common phrase, right? I couldn’t think of who to share with, so I shared with my husband! He is just vegetarian, so not vegan. Of course, he eats vegan every night when I cook…but it still counts, right?
I decided to make lasagne! Lasagne is one of those lovely comforting meals that not only tastes good, but also makes a load of leftovers to keep in the freezer! You can put whatever you like in it really, if you have vegetables to use up they can go in the filling.
I kept this one pretty simple and just did a tomato-y soya mince filling. Layered with pasta and a vegan bechamel sauce, it works out wonderfully!
It goes in the oven like this and comes out all lovely and crispy like the photo at the top!
My husband says he liked it very much, if you’re wondering.
Simple Vegan Lasagne
- for the filling:
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 200g frozen soya mince
- 500ml passata
- 1/2 tsp marmite
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Salt & Pepper
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- approx 500ml milk (I used almond milk)
- Lasagne sheets
for the bechamel:
- Preheat the oven to 200C/390F
- First, make the bechamel. In a saucepan melt the butter.
- Add the flour to the butter and stir on the heat for a minute until it becomes slightly frothy.
- Gradually add the milk, constantly stirring so no lumps form.
- Season with salt and pepper, and let cook until a thick sauce is formed. Set aside.
- In a frying pan, fry the onion, carrot, and garlic until the onion is translucent.
- Add in the marmite and herbs and mix well.
- Add the mince and passata and cook for approx 10 minutes, adding more water if it starts to dry out.
- In your baking dish, spread a small layer of the mince mixture on the bottom. Cover this in lasagne sheets (try not to overlap them).
- On top of the lasagne sheets, spread a layer of the bechamel, then another layer of the mince.
- Cover the mince with lasagne sheets and repeat until the mince is used up. Make the final “top” layer be bechamel on top of the pasta.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, until golden on top and the pasta sheets are done (stick a fork in to test).
One thought on “Lasagne! – Vegan MoFo Day 14”
Pingback: Walks, Talks & Eats