The last day of Vegan Mofo! I’m not sure if it’s gone quickly or slowly. September has been a pretty long month in my book, and I certainly feel like I’ve done a lot of blogging. I didn’t quite manage every day, but I did a lot of posts and I’m proud of that. I never really blogged before and I now have so much appreciation for those who do do it full time, every day. How on earth do you find things to talk about? I’ve been finding myself a little lost for words in my blog posts recently! But I will continue after Mofo, not so regularly, not so often, but I won’t let this blog die. And I now have an awesome collection of blogs to follow, recipes to try…etc.
For my final Mofo Meal (probably, unless I’m ambitious and post tonight!) I made a creamy leek pasta bake. I had a giant leek that my Granny gave me at the weekend and needed to use it up, and I fancied something nice and creamy.
This meal does use several pots and pans but it’s very worth it! You have to make a bechamel sauce (which is a super useful talent to know – I can now make one without looking at any recipes!) and breadcrumbs, and cook the pasta, and saute the leeks, but it creates a super creamy meal. If you have any vegan cheese you could grate it into the sauce and I’m sure it’d be delicious!
A bechamel sauce is actually pretty easy to make. You need some form of vegan butter – this time I used Pure – and some milk – I used Oatly – and some plain (all purpose) flour. Melt the butter in a saucepan, and then stir in the flour, and keep stirring until the mixture seems to “froth” a little. Then stir in the milk, little by little, until you get a thick and creamy sauce. I like to add salt, pepper, and mustard to mine.
I sauteed the leeks with a bit of onion and garlic, cooked the pasta until nearly soft, and mixed it all together. Then just transferred it into an oven dish, poured breadcrumbs on top, and baked until golden brown on top!
Creamy Leek Pasta Bake
- 2 slices bread
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- approx 400ml milk
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 leek, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 180g pasta
- Salt & Pepper
For the Breadcrumbs
For the Bechamel
- Preheat the oven to 200C (400F).
- Begin by putting your pasta on to boil. Once cooked, drain and set aside.
- In a food processor, add the breadcrumbs ingredients and blitz until you get breadcrumbs. Set aside.
- Fry the onion and garlic until soft. Add the leeks and seasoning and cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt 2 tbsp butter in a saucepan. When melted, add 2 tbsp flour and cook until it goes slightly frothy.
- Slowly add the milk until you get a smooth sauce. Add in the mustard and seasoning.
- When all steps are completed, combine the pasta, leeks, and bechamel and mix well.
- Pour into an oven dish, and cover in the breadcrumb mix.
- Cook in the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes, until golden brown on top.